Running a successful business is, first and foremost, a matter of communication. After all, if you can’t communicate ideas, updates, and important information, how can you expect things to run smoothly?
Imagine being able to contact your customers, employees, and clients in mere seconds–allowing for fast, effective communications. Thankfully, this technology already exists: it’s SMS (short message service), better known as text messaging.
SMS has transformed from a mere personal communication tool to a potent marketing and business communication strategy. Let’s take a look at the incredible value this technology can provide your business.
Fascinating Facts about SMS:
Text messages have become a formidable communication method; a majority of people now prefer SMS to older methods like phone calls, emails, or internal business memos. To illustrate this, consider the following facts:
- People read texts quickly–in fact, 90% of texts are read within 3 minutes of being received (and nearly 100% are read by the end of the day they were received). Compare this to emails, which are seldom read before the end of the day!
- More than 1/3 of people check their cell phone within five minutes of waking up in the morning. People even check their phones during mealtimes and breaks.
Finding the Right SMS Provider for Your Business:
The variety of SMS texts we’re talking about are a little more complicated than your average text message. For maximum efficacy, you want to be able to quickly and easily send group messages.
For businesses, this typically means the use of an API platform, which can convert and format these messages into a highly-effective SMS communication. While you could accomplish this by yourself, why would you want to spend valuable time and man-hours on ineffective marketing or hard-to-read communications?
These days, finding an API platform is just a matter of some dutiful web research. API platforms offer many different services, depending on the platform, including targeted marketing messages, urgent news SMS, and even confirmations of shipment, delivery, etc. No matter what your needs are, you can find SMS companies that can cater to you.
Improving Your Business’s SMS Strategy:
Texting is a very different beast than emails or phone calls. Here are a few things to keep in mind when writing your business-related texts for mass distribution:
- There’s a 150-character limit per SMS; use short, simple words that communicate ideas in the easiest fashion.
- Business texts are different than personal commmunications: get straight to the point, there’s no time for salutations or trivial info.
- Use SMS to manage expectations, and to promote a better understanding of your products, services, and deadlines.
- Try to adopt a friendly tone–this makes your business appear more personable, approachable, and up-to-date with modern technology.
We wish you the best of luck in adopting the power of SMS business communications; you’ll be very glad that you did!
Edward Schinik is the Chief Operating Officer with the Investment Manager.